Level 3 lockdown in numbers – 28 December 2020
28 Dec 2020
- More than one million – confirmed coronavirus cases in South Africa by 28 December 2020.
- Nearly 27 000 – South Africans known to have died from COVID-19 by 28 December 2020.
- More than 50 000 – new cases that have been reported since Christmas Eve.
- 4 630 – public sector health employees who contracted COVID-19 during December 2020, bringing the total number infected since the start of the pandemic to over 41 000.
- Over 41 000 – the total number of public sector health employees infected in South Africa since the start of the pandemic, by 28 December 2020.
- 14 – the number of days all indoor and outdoor gatherings will be prohibited, except for funerals and other limited exceptions as detailed in the regulations, such as restaurants, museums, gyms and casinos.
- 50 – the number of people permitted to attend funerals, with social distancing.
- R283 million – the initial payment made by the Solidarity Fund to the COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access Facility, commonly known as COVAX.
Issued by: Government CommunicationsMore from: Government Communication and Information System (GCIS)More on: Coronavirus